Credit and Debit Cards in Latin America

Credit and Debit cards are the most widely accepted methods of payment globally. Unlike pre-paid cards, credit and debit cards allow one exceed ones available funds, in the case of a credit card, borrowing with interest due and for debit cards, secured by overdraft protection. Credit and Debit cards are a must for ecommerce environments.

Credit and Debit Cards Payment Methods in Latin America in 2017
Method Description Supported Countries
All major global credit cards. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc. Global
Visa Electron is a debit or credit card available across most of the world, with the exception of Canada, Australia, Ireland and the United States. The card was introduced by VISA in the 1980s and is a sister card to the Visa Debit card. The difference between Visa Electron and Visa Debit is that payments with Visa Electron require that all the funds be available at the time of transfer.
Brazilian Credit Cards issued by Brazilian banks can only be successfully processed by a local/domestic card acquirer. About 5% of all cards issued in Brazil as flagged as International cards. The remaining 95% are local issued cards. The supported card types in that region are: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners, JCB, Hipercard, Sorocred, Aura and Redecard. Brazil